TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I disagree
People Seeking Info

Subject I disagree

Posted by aliaZ on November 20, 2005 at 9:03 AM
  This message has been viewed 307 times.

In Reply To Re: Couple of questions.... posted by Ash's Z on November 18, 2005 at 05:22 PM

Message :1) NO. As I mentioned in the writeup, the exhaust manifold is under considerably more pressure than the intake manifold. I know this because I have put a pressure gauge on the exhaust manifold to confirm what I have heard everywhere else. I was seeing as high as 50psi in my exhaust manifold with an older BB set of turbochargers when running about 22psi of boost. Because of this, the exhaust blows into the intake, not the intake blows out the exhaust.

The diaphragm is of much greater area than that of the actual EGR valve itself, so 22 psi acting on the diaphragm will easily apply enough force on the comparatively smaller exhaust valve to resist 50 psi of exhaust pressure. You also have 22 psi acting on the other side of the valve. Just for giggles, I applied 50psi to the exhaust inlet port on the EGR valve, and saw no appreciable leakage. It seeped a little, but not anywhere enough to cause problems. Had I had also applied 22psi to the diaphram, I suspect it wouldn't have leaked at all.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.